Friday, January 1, 2010

Making Bread for Extra Income or for Bartering

If you have wheat, a mill to grind it, and time you can make some money for your family.  Trust me, people who taste your bread will want more and most of them won't have the ingredients or the time to make it.


My issue is the lack of time, and I imagine that is universal.  With homeschooling, cooking and cleaning, AND playing taxi, there's not a lot of time. BUT I have started a bread fund envelope where I put the money I earn when I bake bread for others and I willl use that money to buy wheat when we order again.

I haven't marketed myself, but I do have enough "business" just from word of mouth.  My goal at this point is to make enough money to pay for my next shipment of wheat and to cover the expense of the ingredients.  My husband did a cost analysis of my basic roll and loaf recipe so I would know what to charge.

You can also barter for goods or services using your breads.  There is another swim family on our team who has four hens.  When they have enough eggs to share, she tells me and I bring her bread to swap.  You can also barter for services that your family needs using bread. The bad economy and the loss of a job has made our family much more creative!

0 comments:

Post a Comment