Friday, January 1, 2010

Cheapest Stores to Buy Ingredients

Most of the daily ingredients I use to make my bread are available locally.  Lecithin(an emulsifier) is the one I have to order through Something Better.  I haven't tried our local health food stores to see if they have it, but I imagine it is cheaper to buy it in bulk when we place a big order for wheat.  My experience is that the little health food stores are more expensive. 

Wal Mart carries Hodgson Mills ground flaxseed and gluten.  I also buy Hain sea salt, Florida Crystals natural sugar, and the store brand of unsalted butter from Wal Mart. Sam's Club has honey and cold-pressed olive oil, and Fleischmann's Instant Dry Yeast much cheaper than other retailers. Don't buy the little bottles of bread machine yeast at the grocery store, it costs a fortune! Sam's just came out with their store brand of cold-pressed olive oil.  Choose foods and ingredients with little or no processing and with NO high fructose corn syrup.

I would love to buy all organic foods, but it's not economically feasible for our family or most others, for that matter.  I love raw honey, raw milk, and fresh eggs; however, the honey is expensive, I can't find raw milk and I only get fresh eggs every once in a while.  Reality sometimes stinks.  I save my precious jars of raw honey to use in hot tea or eat with hot rolls, not to bake with.

We don't have any organic national food chains near us, to I have to shop at regular national food chains.

If you have questions about any of the ingredients, Sue Becker has a great explanation of different ingredients like gluten, lecithin, and different kinds of wheat in her cookbook. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment